The Comics Run: November 5, 2012

♦ by Unknown Monday 5 November 2012

Before you freak out on me in the comments, yes, I realize I left out some of this week's biggest releases -- Iron Man, Deadpool, Action Comics, Before Watchmen: Moloch, Green Lantern... but hey, these books I listed are just that exciting.

If you want a comprehensive list of everything that’s coming out this week and not just my own picks for what’s hot, check out Diamond’s shipping list.

Sweet Tooth #39 - $2.99

By Jeff Lemire | Vertigo

We’re drawing ever closer to the conclusion of the remarkable Vertigo series known as Sweet Tooth, as writer/artist Jeff Lemire delivers the series’ penultimate chapter. It’s been a terrific (if anxiety-inducing and tear-sprouting) ride that could ultimately end in one of two ways: optimistically or… not.

While Lemire has teased that Sweet Tooth won’t end as depressingly as we might expect, it doesn’t change the fact that we’ll soon be leaving the world of Gus the boy with antlers behind for good. Prepare to savor this second-to-last installment, for soon, we shall be Sweet Tooth-less.

AvX: Consequences #5 - $3.99

By Kieron Gillen & Gabriel Walta | Marvel

I admit that I wasn’t the biggest proponent of Avengers vs. X-Men. In fact, I more or less had the same problems with it that I do with most Marvel events: the implications of the story are far more engaging than the story itself. Luckily, it’s for that same reason that I’m enjoying AvX: Consequences as much as I am.

So far, Consequences has done a great job of positioning Cyclops’ new role in the X-Men world in a way that isn’t so much villainous as it is just really intriguing. Kieron Gillen has painted Scott Summers in a three dimensional light that was sorely missing in AvX proper, and with last issue’s reveal of his supporters, I’m ecstatic to see how this series changes the landscape of mutantdom in the Marvel Universe.

Daredevil: End of Days #2 - $3.99

By Brian Bendis, David Mack, Klaus Janson & Bill Sienkiewicz | Marvel

While I’ve been no slouch in promoting Mark Waid and Chris Samnee’s Daredevil series that prides itself on straight-up fun, Bendis’ classic run on the Man Without Fear is one of the greatest things I’ve ever shoved into my brain. End of Days feels like a Dark Knight Returns-esque thematic finale to the Bendis rendition of Matt Murdock; it’s unapologetically grim and remarkably unnerving.

With Daredevil apparently dead, the series currently rests on the shoulders of Ben Urich as he struggles to come to terms with Matt’s end while also investigating it. There’s a lot of mystery and intrigue to End of Days, but hopefully issue #2 will serve to shed a little bit more light on what exactly the future of this mini-series could hold.

Colder #1 - $3.99

By Paul Tobin & Juan Ferreyra | Dark Horse

I’ll be totally honest with you and say that until today, I had no freaking clue what Colder was actually about. I did know two things: Paul Tobin is writing it and the cover makes my skin crawl. As you might recall from last week, horror comics are one of my favorite things (behind cats and liquor), and so anytime something new comes along I weep with joy.

In any case, Colder tells the story about an ex-inmate of a madhouse whose body temperature is dropping rapidly. He’s also got this innate ability to enter another person’s madness and cure it, but can he even cure himself? You best believe I want to find out, so that’s why  I’ll be snagging this book.

Shadowman #1- $3.99

By Justin Jordan & Patrick Zircher | Valiant

Shadowman is back, Jack. Even though Benjamin Bailey of the IGN Comics Review Crew already handed this issue an 8.9 score, I can’t wait to get my hands on this beast myself. Justin Jordan is one of the hottest new writers of the year thanks to the awesome Strange Talent of Luther Strode, and the art of Patrick Zircher should simply never be passed up for any reason.

With Shadowman, Valiant is adding a new type of book to its steadily growing catalog of eclectic superhero comics: supernatural horror. If you like voodoo, blood, New Orleans, and the paranormal, I’d recommend jumping on board this train.

Joey is IGN's Comics Editor and a comic book creator himself. Follow Joey on Twitter, or find him on IGN. He thinks  knows the world needs more horror comic books.


Source : feeds[dot]ign[dot]com

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment