Batman: Greg Capullo Talks Death of the Family

♦ by Unknown Thursday 15 November 2012

The Joker is back in a big way in the pages of Batman by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. He's gunning for the entire Bat-family, and so far, it's looking like he just might accomplish his murderous mission. We talked with artist Capullo about the Joker's return, what it means for Batman, and how awesome it is to be an artist drawing one of the most iconic villains of all time.

We've also get a very special look at next month's installment of Death of the Family, Batman #15.

Read our review of Batman #14!

IGN Comics: The last time we spoke it was right before the Court of Owls storyline kicked into high gear. Have you felt any pressure to top yourself with Death of the Family, either personally in your artwork or as a storyteller alongside Scott?

Greg Capullo: I’m never satisfied. Striving is just part of who I am. So, to me it’s just business as usual. Exciting, I’m living my dream; this is way too much fun business. But, business as usual.

IGN: Can you talk a little bit about your design for the Joker and what characteristics you wanted to bring out in him the most?

Capullo: Well, from the start, Scott wanted Joker to have his BIGGEST smile yet. We wanted him to look familiar, but more extreme to reflect his attitude. Having his face attached as it is allows for many visual opportunities. Some dark and scary and others very comical. ...eh, in a dark way, I suppose.

IGN: Everyone loves and is terrified by the Joker for different reasons. What appeals to you the most about the character?

Capullo: For me, it’s how much he can learn about you -- uncover your darkest secrets -- the ones you hope will never be exposed, and bring them to light. When Scott wrote that the Joker had hidden under Gordon’s bed many times... I shudder at that thought.

IGN: What are the challenges in tackling such an iconic villain like the Joker as opposed to creating new villains like the Court? Is one more satisfying to work on than the other?

Capullo: It’s all fun, but I admit that there is something so utterly awesome about drawing a character as famous as the Joker. The challenge is, of course, to bring something new to something so old without screwing it up. Being able to start fresh, so to speak, by having to reattach his face helped ease some of the burden, I’d say.

IGN: Can you walk us through a typical day of drawing Batman? How many hours a day do you work, how many days a week?

Capullo: I work a hell of a lot of hours -- mostly every day and for as many hours as it takes. On average, 12-15 hours. I start around 8 or 9 AM and I always want to do more than a single page a day. Doing conventions eats into my deadline time which forces me to work harder than if I didn’t. But, I don’t complain. I get it done.

IGN: You guys teased a little bit of the Red Hood Gang back in Batman #0. Any hints as to when we’ll see those threads picked up again?

Capullo: I don’t want to spoil things. But, you’ll see Bruce before he became as disciplined and in control of himself. You’ll see 007-style toys that you wish that you had. You’ll see relationships forged, some good, some bad, some VERY bad. It’s gonna be a lot of fun!

IGN: Do you have a personal favorite Joker story?

Capullo: Why, Death of the Family, of course!!!

IGN: Anything you’d like to add about Death of the Family or Batman in general?

Capullo: Yeah sure! I, we on Team Batman, want to thank all the great fans who show us so much love. It really fuels us -- makes us want to give you more and more. You know, some label it “hype” when I say that a real thrill ride is headed your way with Death of the Family. But, let me say that is BS! I’m not hyping anything. This is the stuff I’d be saying to my friends while hanging out. I’m just telling you about some cool thing that I can’t wait to share with you.

So, my friends, buckle up! The ride has only just begun!

Joey is IGN's Comics Editor and a comic book creator. Follow Joey on Twitter @JoeyEsposito, or find him on IGN at Joey-IGN. He thinks  knows the world needs more horror comic books.


Source : feeds[dot]ign[dot]com

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment